Are you someone who suffers from sciatica pain?In fact, a recent study by Harvard University found that as many as 40% of people will experience sciatica pain in their lifetime. Although sciatica nerve pain can be excruciating, luckily, there are stretches people can do to ease their pain. But, do these stretches work? The answer is yes!So, what stretches should you be doing?Check out this guide to discover the top sciatica stretches for nerve pain.
1. Scissor Hamstring Stretch
One of the best stretches to do for sciatica nerve pain is the scissor hamstring stretch. Tight hamstrings can pull on your pelvis, which in turn can put stress on your lower back and irritate your sciatic nerve. You can do this stretch to target your hamstrings:
- Stand with your left foot a few feet in front of your right foot with your hips and shoulders facing forward
- Place your hands on your hips (if you need to, you can place on hand on a chair for balance)
- Bend at your waist, folding your torso over your front leg
- Keep most of your weight in your front leg and keep your back leg straight
Hold this stretch for at least 30 seconds before switching over to the other leg.
2. Standing Calf Stretch
Believe it or not, calf muscles are linked to sciatica pain. Here’s what you can do to stretch out your calves:
- Stand facing a wall, about two feet away
- Put your left foot forward and slightly bend your left knee
- Keep your right heel grounded to the floor
- Lean your upper body forward and place your hands on the wall for stability
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds
You can also bend the knee of your back leg slightly to feel a different kind of calf stretch. Hold this for 30 seconds more before switching sides.
3. Supine Piriformis Stretch
The piriformis muscle is located deep in the buttocks, and giving it a nice stretch can help relieve sciatic nerve pain. Here’s what you need to do:
- Lie on your back with your legs extended
- Cross your left leg over your right thigh
- Plant your right foot on the outside of your left knee
- Pull your leg gently toward your left side by grabbing your right knee with your left hand
Hold this stretch for about 30 seconds before switching sides.
4. Pigeon Pose
The pigeon pose is actually a yoga pose, but it can also serve as a stretch that’s great for relieving sciatica symptoms. Here’s what you need to do:
- Lie on your back and bring your left leg up to a right angle
- Bring both hands behind the thigh, interlocking your fingers
- Lift your right leg and place your left ankle on top of your right knee
Hold this stretch for a few moments before switching to the other side.
Sciatica Stretches for Pain Relief: Are You Ready to Stretch?
As you can see, there are a lot of great sciatica stretches out there for pain relief. Before you know it, your sciatica nerve pain will be alleviated. Also, if you need further relief for your sciatica pain, contact us today. Also, be sure to check out this guide to learn how to deal with neck pain.